Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Craig Will Veto: Home Run or Strike One?

Guthrie was 100% correct in The Aegis. Craig will veto soon. So what does that mean? It means that Helton can’t use “developer friendly” against him. It also means that developer contributions to his campaign will probably dry up. This could be a problem when his opponent has almost unlimited money. However, I strongly believe that we will not see another democrat elected to County Executive in Harford County for a very long time. We are conservatives. Even our democrats are conservatives for the most part and they vote Republican.

One thing scares me about Craig. I seriously hope that he did this as a political move and not as a philosophical move. Just as I said, he will throw the “I did this for Harford County” line at us but you have to wonder. Does he really believe it is his job to limit people’s property rights? And selling is a property right. Maximizing profit from your family’s property is a right. I like what Glenn Spatz said in his announcement. We need to respect their decision to sell. These land owners have been around for a long time and they feel that now is the time to cash in. The real estate market is cooling a little and they want to sell now. I am not so sure the County Executive should be able to tell these families that they must wait. In some cases we could be talking a difference of millions and not thousands of dollars.

Craig will offer his own comprehensive rezoning legislation which will make “everyone” happy. I will not forget this veto but most will and it will not be a major issue in November. Let’s just call this strike one and leave it at that.

3 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/harford/bal-md.ha.veto03mar03,0,7853066.story?coll=bal-local-harford

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger GOPerative said...

I guess this would be a good time to say, "I told you so." My next "I told you so" is that this is going to be a huge mess. This will add fuel to the county-wide council election flame. The pro-county-wide crowd will use this by saying most councilmen do not care about other disticts and operate on self/district-interest. The Aegis editorial staff has already said that. I am not happy with Craig for doing this but I am reasonable enough to understand why.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home