Saturday, March 11, 2006

District D

With the District D race already a 3 horse race I want to find out who has the early lead. It is so hard to really know who you are going to vote for before these people start talking issues. I think there are only two viable choices in this race so far.


Amy Hopkins Daney is the manager of Elberton Hill Farm in Darlington. From the Elberton Hill Farm website it is clear that she and her family are big into thoroughbred horses. Amy has managed the farm for the past 15 years. It is hard to believe that Amy would come down on the side of developers when in comes to zoning. There is no campaign finance account on the Maryland State Board of Elections website. However, her name does show up which means they are probably in the process of adding her information. She is fairly unknown to those outside of the farming community.


Chief Jason Gallion of the Level Volunteer Fire Company is throwing his hat in the ring for the second time. Jason ran against Lance Miller and Shirley Doud in the 1998 Republican primary. Jason placed second, behind Miller by only 482 votes. It appears that Jason is the early favorite. I am not sure if Miller will get into the endorsement game but if I had to guess, he would chose Gallion as his replacement. Gallion is linked to Barry Glassman which certainly does not hurt him. From what I can tell he is just pure “good ole Harford County.” A fireman, farmer, and a little politician on the side. If he stays close to the Bob Hooper “I am what I am; I believe what I believe” model he will be a light in this upcoming primary.


Chad Shrodes is a democrat. Yes I know a white little piece of paper says R on it but do not be fooled. Chad was the second top vote getter in 1998 for the democratic central committee. He was the top vote getter as the male representative for the 2nd Congressional district for guess who, Al Gore. Now I love Al Gore because he invented the internet. Without Al Gore I would not be able to spread my “wisdom” to hundreds of my fellow Harford Countians. So, I cannot blame him for wanting to go and represent his Congressional district on Al’s behalf. Someone please hit me over the head…harder. When did party switching become an acceptable thing to do? Oh, I know. When the dem’s lost power in Harford County. Their ship sailed a decade ago and some have decided to jump ship and swim back to shore. The problem is that we shore-men have a canoe ready for them and are going to send them down river without their paddle. I just cannot see someone so active in the democratic party actually being a real Republican. I may be wrong and I might have the wrong Chad Shrodes, but I’m still getting the canoe ready.

3 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger GOPerative said...

The following was an email sent to me:

Dear harfordgop,
Let me start by saying that I love your website. I am on it all the time and love your wit. I even agree with what you write most of the time.
So, I was surprised to see how much our opinions differ on the District D race. It seems that you did not really research the candidates much before you wrote about them.
I'll begin with Amy Daney. She has only very recently announced her candidacy for the race which is why she did not have any reported funds by the first reporting period. Your speculation on her zoning platform is just that - speculation. What does she know about zoning issues? Anything? I'd love to know. You should like to know too, I'm thinking. Answers, please.
I'm not saying that managing a horse farm is not hard work, but as I am a part of the farming community, I will say that I know several folks who do their farm bookeeping etc while keeping full-time jobs and raising children. I do know that Ms. Daney does neither of the two latter responsibilities. From what I can tell, Ms. Daney would be a great representative for the <1% of District D voters who are horse people (because we know that "horse people" and dairy farmers are a very different breed) OR for the folks in District D who run their own amateur websites, because she seems to have done a nice job on the Elberton Farm website. These are the only things I can see her being knowledgeable about. Are we supposed to bow down because she happens to be a Hopkins? Not me.
For those in District D who do not respect Lance Miller for his farming ethics and do not respect Lance Miller because of his lack of actual community caring and involvement, I can hardly see why Jason Gallion, a carbon copy of Mr. Miller in these two respects, would be a good replacement. First of all, your speculation on who Mr. Miller would back is just that - speculation. Second, if you take a look at campaign contributions (probably the next report) you will almost definitely see that Barry Glassman has donated funds to the Chad Shrodes campaign. Mr. Glassman, I understand, is somehow related to Mr. Gallion, and has to support him for that reason. What does he stand for? Yes he's a firefighter, but how has he served Harford County's Republican party? Answers, please.
Chad Shrodes is obviously the one who gets my vote. The Al Gore reference from you is disappointing. So he was a democrat in 1998. The was 8 years ago when the man was 23-24 years old. Give me a break! Winston Churchill said "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." Well, Mr. Shrodes seems ahead of the curve right?
Let me give you a few facts about Chad Shrodes.
--He was born and raised in Norrisville right next to the farm where his grandmother was born. He is really proud of that and loves to brag that he's from Harford County.
--The man shows perserverance in good times and bad, a quality I would like to see in a candidate. His father passed away when Chad was just 19 years old. He had just begun building a house for his family at the time of his death. During the next six years, Chad Shrodes completed college, which he paid for on his own; got a full-time job with Harford County Government; and completed the task of completing his father's home, which he lives in today.
---No one can have the knowledge of Harford County, especially of zoning and historic preservation that Mr. Shrodes does. He has worked with Harford County's Planning and Zoning Department in some capacity for the past 13 or 14 years. It was largely because of him that the residents of Whiteford and Cardiff have their town designated as a National Historic District. He knows the underlying issues of zoning requests and changes. It would be nice for a change to have someone who knows what they're talking about on the Council when it comes to zoning issues.
--No one can beat the amount of Mr. Shrodes' time and effort volunteered not only to the Republican Club and the Republican Central Committee, but to many community events and groups. These include but are certainly not limited to his yearly financial support of 4-Hers at the annual livestock sale; volunteer time at Annie's playground, the Farm Fair, Harford Glen, the Darlington Apple Festival, the Bel Air BBQ Bash, LPGA Tour; and the volunteer work for the RCC including phone banking, registering voters, fundraising, manning booths at various fairs.

I give you my complete permission to print this letter in part or in full as you wish. I just wanted to give you a little background so that you can make an educated decision as to who the best qualified candidate for the District D race really is. I hope this has opened your eyes if only a little bit. Mr. Shrodes has more supporters than some realize and I hope that this will be shown at the polls in September AND November. Thanks for your time.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see someone else was able to get a comment up for Chad. Chad did not deserve the type of write-up that you gave him. Evidently you do not know him very well. Chad has been working for the Gop for several year now. He is one of the hardest workers in Harford County. Additionally, he has helped other republicans on their campaigns since around 2000, that I am aware of, possibly longer. Why don't you write positive things for the party, rather that put someone down like this. After you post my comment for a few days, I think you should take this article out to the trash can where it belongs.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger GOPerative said...

You are correct. I do not know Chad very well. I have had a few conversations with him recently via email and he seems like he is doing a very good job at making up for past party "issues." I am a GOP lifer and do not fully understand how someone could even consider being a democrat. I feel they are wrong for Harford County (and the entire country). When I wrote the "District D" article that apprehension certainly came across. Then again that is what this blog is for. It is a great place to clear the air. Chad has been very forthcoming with information that I was not aware of. That will only benefit him in the future.

On a side note, you said that you were glad to see that someone was able to get a comment up for Chad. I think there may be a problem with the comments on the blog. Some people have not been able to post comments. I have a feeling that it may be the individual’s computers. I am looking into the issue now. I have posted every person’s comment that I have received (except for one that was not appropriate; nothing to do with Chad). I will continue this practice. I have no reason to sensor peoples opinions. That would be wrong of me and go against the true purpose of this blog, which is the free exchange of ideas and information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home